Duivelseiland / Devil’s Island (English description)

In 1915, on the edge of the island of Urk, there was a wooden barrack, enclosed by barbed wire. It housed Belgian, French and English officers who previously fought in the Great War. They had crossed the Dutch border and the neutral Netherlands had to intern them according to the Peace Treaty of 1907. At the time, there were various camps throughout the Netherlands where soldiers from warring countries were interned. Officers who posed a flight risk were banished to

Lees verder